Movicon fires up the engine.
“The several capabilities of Movicon open the viewing and the interaction in any kind of device.”
Tata Cummins Pvt. Ltd.
Tata Cummins Pvt. Ltd. has chosen Movicon to control the Engine Line Manufacturing.
- To update the “Lookup Table” data component details maintained in an excel sheet) maintained by Cummins to the SCADA.
- BAR code scanning and BAR code label printing at selected stations across the assembly line.
The entity manufactures high performance, reliable and durable mid-range (B&L) engines in the 75 to 400 HP range that not only comply with current and future emission norms but are also serviceable globally.
Established in the year 1994, the company started its operations with its state-of-the-art facility at the steel city of Jamshedpur. Aligning itself with the world class manufacturing standards, Tata Cummins Jamshedpur
has consistently exceeded customer expectations which resulted in increased annual sales and demands for further capacity. Expansion plans were finally put in place with the setting up of the second and third manufacturing facilities at the Cummins Megasite in Phaltan, Maharashtra.
For its Diesel Engine Assembly Line, Tata Cummins Pvt. Ltd. had several requirements:
- To replace the previous SCADA and connect to the new Siemens S7 PLC via Ethernet and pick up data from 140 stations (installed on Main Line, Block Assembly, Head Service Assembly and Test Cell line).
- To provide two sets of redundant SCADA server system for both the assembly line, with dedicated Operator station for each line.
- To prepare applications with appropriate mimic screens as required on the central SCADA system as well as at each DET (Data Entry Terminals) location and Web Based View Client locations.
- To collect data from nut runners, IPV and Leak Test equipment using proprietary protocol via serial
- To update ANDON display in Realtime with the Actual against Planned production data.
- To connect SCADA system to the ORACLE ERP system and update data in real time on Sales Order quantity update against planned/schedules, store all the data in a defined DB and in a required format.
Tata Cummins Pvt. Ltd. after evaluating different solutions chose Movicon from Progea to monitor in real time the Engine Assembly Line Manufacturing.
The system comprises:
- Central SCADA system
- Data Entry Terminals (DET)
- View Clients (VC)
The central system which reads all data from stations
via the central Siemens PLC will be the Server system. The Project Team of Protocol Automation Technologies installed redundant servers and one slave operator station in each line. On both servers the Protocol Project Team installed MOVICON Runtime PRO license system with the following options:
- Web Licenses
The redundant functionalities taken care by Movicon will automatically switch communication, data storage etc.. If one server fails the other one makes the system reliable as the DET and View Clients are also connected to this network. The DETs installed are licensed with Movicon Client Stations which will allow operators to enter data as well as view relevant data in lists or grids as required.
Protocol Automation Technologies Pvt Ltd is a software solution house based in Bangalore, serving the Automation Industry with time tested quality products, services and support since they started operation in 1994. Protocol Automation Technologies has developed an engine line manufacturing project for one of the most important automotive companies in India: Tata Cummins Pvt. Ltd.
Tata Cummins Pvt. Ltd. is a 50/50 joint venture between Tata Motors Limited, India’s largest automobile manufacturer, and Cummins Inc., USA, world leaders in design and manufacturing of diesel engines. The entity manufactures high performance, reliable and durable mid-range (B&L) engines in the 75 to 400 HP range that not only comply with current and future emission norms but are also serviceable globally.